Last Updated: 19 July 2019

Targets applicants who wish to enroll after 2018.
For more information, please contact the Graduate School of Advanced Integrated Studies in Human Survivability (GSAIS or Shishu-Kan), Educational Affairs Office (gsais-kyomu @ mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp).

1. About the Application

Q: Can working adults also apply?
A: They can apply. However, there is no special selection for adults. Furthermore, in the GSAIS (Shishu-Kan) curriculum, there are classes and internships during holidays and summer vacation.
Q: Will it be a five-year program for working adults too?
A: Yes. There is no special curriculum for working adults at GSAIS (Shishu-Kan); all students will be enrolled in a common five-year curriculum.
However, we have established a “long-term student system” for those who want to acquire a degree while engaging in an occupation.
Q: Since I have a Master’s degree, can I transfer into the third year?
A: No. As this is a five-year curriculum, enrolling as a non-first year student half-way is not permitted. Only students enrolling in the graduate school from the first year can apply. But if students have shown outstanding academic performance during their studies at Shishu-Kan, the students can complete the PhD program earlier (in 3years for the students who have obtained their Master’s degree before admission, and in 4 years for the students who have obtained their Bachelor degree before admission).
Q: Can I stay with my family at the residential college on campus?
A: As the residential college allows single occupancy, moving in with family is not permitted.
Q: Can international students also apply?
A: They can apply. However, applicants for whom the status of residence is “Study Abroad” or who are expected to obtain the status of residence “Study Abroad” at the time of admission must apply for “Special Admission for International Students”. You cannot apply for “General Entrance Examination”. In addition, since there are courses that are only conducted in Japanese including compulsory subjects such as special lectures and discussions on leadership or “jukugi” and service learning after enrollment, a certain amount of Japanese proficiency is required. Some of the foreign students in GSAIS have beginner-level Japanese language skills.
Q: I have not reached a standard score for English, but can I apply?
A: Yes. However, it will be one of the criteria for evaluation in the document screening. In addition, the language proficiency equivalent to TOEFL-ibt100 is a completion requirement, so you need to improve your English skills after you enroll.

2. About the Entrance Exam

Q: What are the criteria for selection? What kind of exams do you have? On the whole, what are the criteria for deciding whether I pass or fail?
A: It is in accordance with GSAIS (Shishu -Kan) student application requirements. Past questions can be downloaded from the website.

3. After Enrollment

1) Learning Content
Q: What kind of classes are offered?
A: For students who have enrolled after 2018, compulsory subjects include an Introduction to Advanced Integrated Studies in Human Survivability, special lectures and discussions on leadership or “jukugi,” service learning, an overseas internship, and PBR, as well as eight elective subjects. The eight subjects are from eight fields of study or “hasshi,” including those from humanities, philosophy, information, environment, and fine arts. Students will choose one field of study from the eight and that will be their specialized field, then they well choose from the seven other fields for the requirements.
Q: What kinds of backgrounds do the faculty members have?
A: Please refer to the Faculty Introduction page on the website.
Q: What happens if I fail the Qualifying Examination (QE)?
A: Upon failing in the QE, students cannot enroll for the overseas internship or PBR and cannot apply for review of the doctoral degree either.
A Master’s degree can be awarded to those who fulfill certain requirements. Some students repeat the year and try to pass the QE again.
Q: What happens in case I need to take a leave of absence from the school?
A: The basic guidelines of the Kyoto University Graduate School will be followed. Also, the student will have to leave the residential college during leave of absence.
Q: What is the detailed procedure of conducting research for my Doctoral Dissertation?
A: The doctoral dissertation will be finished over five years as part of Special Research I and II and Advanced Integrated Studies in Human Survivability I, II, and III. Regarding themes, the student will decide the theme after consulting with several academic advisors to whom the research guidance has been entrusted but mainly with his/her research supervisor.
Q: Are service learning and overseas internships mandatory? In that case, do I have to search for a place on my own? In addition, am I responsible for these costs?
A: These are mandatory. Regarding service learning, students are required to plan and implement volunteer activities in domestic and overseas welfare facilities and developing countries.
In addition, students will select the dispatch destination for overseas internship in consultation with relevant faculty members in light of their wishes, specialized areas of study, and career paths. Regarding charges for traveling abroad, utilization of external funds such as Tobitate! Ryugaku JAPAN (Tobitate! (Leap for Tomorrow) Study Abroad Program) is recommended.
2) Daily Life
Q: How are the residential college different from an usual dormitory?
A: It is purposely called the residential college because it is different from the usual dormitory as a place of residence for students, and because it is an exclusive educational facility for GSAIS (Shishu-Kan). It is a place where students can study together and interact with each other, and it is considered a place that encourages friendly competition among students. Also, during the period of enrollment, students are regularly moved and rooms are exchanged among students.
Q: Do all the graduate students of GSAIS (Shishu-Kan) have to reside in the residential college on campus?
A: It is assumed that all students will reside in the residential college, but special family circumstances are taken into consideration. For example, if one is nursing an elderly relative at home or if one has small children, it is taken into consideration.
Q: If I attend GSAIS (Shishu-Kan) while raising children, is there any support system provided by the university?
A: At the Kyoto University Gender Equality Promotion Center, there is a system of taking care of waiting infants less than 15 months old and a system of taking care of sick children. Please refer to the Kyoto University Gender Equality Promotion Center website for further details.
3) Financial aspects
Q: The admission fee is 282,000 yen and the annual tuition fee is 535,800 yen, right?
A: Yes. As with all regular graduate schools, admission fee and tuition fee are required. These fees are subject to change.
Q: How much does it cost to use the residential college?
A: There is no charge to use the residential college at this time. However, light, heating, water utility costs, common expenses, etc. will be charged.
Also, students will be charged a cleaning fee when moving out of the residential colleges. The charge to use will be considered in the future.

4. After completion of course

Q: What are the career paths for students who have completed the program? 
A: In industries, international organizations, and civil services. Through special lectures and discussions on leadership or “jukugi,” overseas internship, and PBR, career paths are widened, and upon obtaining the degree at the time of completion, full support of the entire graduate school is extended for finding employment in the abovementioned sectors.